Hidden bistros

by

Zagreb holds many secrets and one of them is a small alley called Skalinska. It's most famous for its small bistros and restaurants that all vary.


I've been there for a few times this week, so here's what's been going on-

Newest in the alley is a very small pittoresque bistro called La Štruk. It serves only one kind of food- štrukli (shtrookley- I found on the web that this is the international pronunciation). Štrukle are a traditional Croatian type of food- it's made of thin pastry that's rolled with a mixture of fresh cheese, sour cream and eggs- then either boiled or bakes- maybe both. It can be made salty or sweet and once you start eating it you can't stop! But this place brings it to the next level- they serve them with truffles, onion, bacon and berries. I had truffles while my friend opted for the traditional salty cheese.
The setting is sweet and modern with wall writings and comfy pillows. They also have a great homemade juice made of mint, lemon and other herbs. 




It's a definite go- a must to visit if you're nearby. Try it for breakfast, brunch or a quick snack. 
I love it when they take something that's traditional and maybe even taken for granted- then twist it a bit and make it modern and even posh.

Today I took my little brother on another adventure- a small Asian fusion restaurant that's right next door to the štrukli joint.
It's called Umami grill- a very interesting, aesthetic place that makes your taste buds leap to heaven.



The design is very modern- light wood and dark walls, but everything's warm and filled with light. In its small place, a big table for eight is dominant, with a stack of herbs and spices that halves it and makes it a bit more private. 
The menu is short but good- everything's worth a try.





Little bro had spicy chicken and spiced potatoes, while I had coconut curry. It's so so so good, I wished I could take it all home and repeat the experience. For dessert- it was so called "Passionate Rice". From what I gathered it had rice (obviously), cream, caramel, pineapple and maybe saffron, but I'm not sure about the last one. It was a perfect way to end a meal- so soft and sweet in contrast to the previous spicy and savory. 
I give it all my thumbs up- check it all out, plus all the other small places the alley holds :)