Travel diaries: Salzburg

by

Do you ever wish to just escape reality and chill for a day, far from home and responsibilities?
Few weeks ago my friend M and I made a random decision to go on an one-day trip to Salzburg to see the advent fair. The whole charm to it was the spontaneity. 
For 24 hours we were able to forget all about school and problems, it was just us and the trip. Our first stop was Hellbrunn castle; a former summer house for the royalty. When I was a kid we used to go there in Easter, and I remember that the castle had a garden some prince once designed as a prank park- with gorgeous statues and murals that would spray water on its viewers. I remember there was a great big table with stone seats and when I sat on it the chair sprayed me and water started bursting from the top of the table. The guy had class even 300 years ago haha. The water park was closed cause it was cold, but we still got some time to stroll and visit the stands.








Later we continued to Salzburg. Imagine a city of 150 000 citizens with 200 000 tourists. Yep. Crowded is a euphemism in this case. Nevertheless, we got so see some cool, festive things.
They got stands to match their crowds; it's impossible to get through them all. 






I'm not that into the whole commercial stuff, but I gotta admit they outdone themselves in decor. Firstly, the architecture itself is too cute, and they have this law that stores must have metal signs like centuries ago, so you're walking through narrow streets full on signs, holly, lights and ribbons. 



And while my friend had a mission to shop till drop, the nerdy side of me was drooling over the architecture. But seriously. It's all very old and pittoresque, the facades are all in different colors and styles. Imagine it with all the lights- seems surreal.









If you're ever going to Salz, there's a place you need to see. It's a shop where you can buy hand painted real eggs. There are hundreds of thousands of them and each piece is a small piece of art (matches the price). I was sooo obsessing over little black Balmain eggs (that's how I called them). I didn't buy them though, they wouldn't go with our decor at home. 
Every egg is practically unique and it takes you so much time to pick out the best.





It was cool and tiresome- we walked for 8 hours straight. But the weather was nice and not as cold as we were expecting. We were so bundled up with sweaters and coats and hot during the day, but it got pretty chilly when the Sun went down- so keep that in mind if you're ever going there.




Wearing Zara coat, pants and knitted sweater, Guess bag, Buffalo shoes and vintage hat.

It was so so nice to escape reality for a moment and just chill. We strolled, had coffee, ate pastries and just enjoyed ourselves. It was a laugh and I'd do it again anytime. Visit Salz, be prepared for rows of tourists and don't forget to eat some Sacher cake :)
Will write soon, xx